In January 2005, the University of Southampton unveiled a rather cool e-Science project, monitoring lab experiments in the Chemistry department and displaying a live dashboard on a Java-enabled cellphone, all using MQTT and the IBM broker technologies.
- Chemists escape labs via mobiles (BBC News Online)
- Welcome to the Smart Lab (Royal Academy of Engineering)
- e-Science frees researchers from the lab (IEE Review)
- Mobile phones keep tabs on experiments in labs (EPSRC / Research Councils UK)
- Sensor Networks and Grid Middleware for Laboratory Monitoring [pdf]
- Chemistry By Mobile Phone (or how to justify more time at the bar) [pdf]